IMG_1114You’d think the subject of Jewishness would fade from the conversation, but it’s doesn’t seem to. There are only between 13 and 14 million Jews in the entire world right now, less than 0.2 % of the population of human beings on the earth. There are more Dutch people, about 19.000.000, more people from Burkina Faso, about 16,000,000, more Romanians, about 22,000,000, and vastly more of almost everyone else. Furthermore, according to statistics, within 20 years, because of assimilation, intermarriage and secular lifestyle, about 70% of all remaining Jews will become unidentifiable. The remaining, still identifiable 30% will make being a recognizable Jew a rarity indeed. So why so much unrelenting fuss about Jewishness? And … what qualifies someone to be considered a Jew anyway?

My new work soon to be published by TMI Press, in preparation and flux for many years, explores this issue of Jewish identity, especially in relation to the disappearing 70%. These are, according to one Rabbi, “neither/nor Jews” of whom I could easily include myself. I’ve titled the book Not Not a Jew, a Novel in Verst. Yes, Verst.

More about this book soon.